Software Engineer with background in Physics and a crush for hard (yet) unsolved problems.
Telecommunication Engineer with a strong mathematical and physical background, specifically in the field of classical optics and telecommunications.
Doctorate on Numerical Methods and proved abilities to develop complex algorithms efficiently, in both academic and business environments.
5+ years of experience in software design: highly scalable web applications, numerical intensive simulations and massively parallel data analysis.
Interested in other programming languages, like Haskell, Lisp and Go.
Experienced with many different libraries and frameworks: Tornado, Pandas, Disco, JQuery, ExtJS, git, MySQL, sqlite, MongoDB, nginx, and many more.
Familiar with UNIX-like (mainly Linux) and Windows OSes.
Logical thinker, able to provide effective solutions to solve difficult problems.
Great team-player & fun attitude, competent time manager, very dependable under pressure and passionately dedicated to the task.
Proved experience in designing, implementing and deploying highly scalable software systems.
Lead the DevOps team, to improve automation of development processes.
Responsibilities include soliciting project ideas, setting priorities and scheduling projects.
25% time position dedicated to this role; remaining 75% Lead Python Developer.
Design and implement scalable analysis software for market research analysis using Python, Cython MongoDB.
Development of an in-memory column-oriented DB to efficiently store and query tabular data.
Design and implement scalable analysis software for finance using mainly Python, Pandas MySQL and ExtJS.
Implementation of an in-memory DB to efficiently query tabular data.
Parsing of unstructured data sources and categorization using simple machine learning techniques.
Design and implementation of highly scalable web search crawlers using Python and Twisted.
Experience in distributed data analysis using MapReduce frameworks (mainly Disco), NoSQL data stores (mainly MongoDB) and AWS solutions.
Some experience in browser extension implementation (Firefox and Chrome).
Software engineer of high-performance E-gaming web applications (mainly working with Betfair, Coral, Ladbrokes and others betting companies).
Focus on high performance fund transfers (maximizing the transaction per seconds supported by the systems), application reliability (maximizing uptime), third-party usability (implementing REST and SOAP access to web applications).
OS used: Linux (Debian, Suse and ArchLinux distributions).
R&D in Photonic Integrated Circuits mainly based on Silicon-on-Insulator technology (SOI-PICs).
Responsible for the design of optical components for metro and access networks, with a focus on innovative solutions.
Excellent problem solving capabilities, lateral thinking and self management.
Deep experience on efficient numerical and parallel programming (SGI Altix hardware), using C/C++, Fortran, Matlab, Python languages and OpenMP, MPI, STL and Boost libraries.
Experience in patenting.
Consultant on hardware and software design for digital television broadcasting, including theory on transmission algorithms and computer simulations of the complete system.
Experience in programming applications for set-top-boxes, in JAVA.
R&D on numerical algorithms applied to the solution of electromagnetic problems.
Very deep focus on algorithms' efficiency for computationally intensive simulations. Theoretical studies on linear algebra problems, finite difference and finite elements algorithms, modal expansion techniques.
Deep experience in C/C++ programming, both with VC++ and Borland suites (along with STL and Boost libraries) and Python as scripting language. Basics of GUI programming.
Technical assistance in the virtual reconstruction of Mantegna's paintings in the Ovetari's Chapel, Padua Italy.
Basics of image analysis and manipulation.
Thesis on the numerical solution Maxwell equations in periodic dielectric devices.
Research on semiconductor optoelectronic devices for metro core and access segments in optical networks.
Research in Optical integrated circuits, photonic crystal planar waveguides and wavelength dependent devices.
Lorenzo Bolla — firstname.lastname@example.org — +44 (0)7789 189 180