Lorenzo Bolla - Curriculum Vitæ
Software Engineer with background in Physics and a crush for hard (yet) unsolved problems.
Telecommunication Engineer with a strong mathematical and physical background, specifically in the field of classical optics and telecommunications.
Doctorate on Numerical Methods and proved abilities to develop complex algorithms efficiently, in both academic and business environments.
5+ years of experience in software design: highly scalable web applications, numerical intensive simulations and massively parallel data analysis.
Experienced with many different libraries and frameworks: Tornado, Pandas, Disco, JQuery, ExtJS, git, MySQL, sqlite, MongoDB, nginx, and many more.
Familiar with UNIX-like (mainly Linux) and Windows OSes.
Logical thinker, able to provide effective solutions to solve difficult problems.
Great team-player & fun attitude, competent time manager, very dependable under pressure and passionately dedicated to the task.
- Software Architecture
- Proved experience in designing, implementing and deploying highly scalable software systems.
- Software Development
- Years of experience in Python development, using Tornado, Pandas, Postgres, MongoDB and many other tools. Very interested in other programming languages, especially Rust, Haskell, Lisp and Go.
- Check out my GitHub, StackOverflow, LinkedIn.
YouGov, Director of DevOps, Aug 2015 – now
Lead the DevOps team, to improve automation of development processes. Responsibilities include soliciting project ideas, setting priorities and scheduling projects. 25% time position dedicated to this role; remaining 75% Lead Python Developer.
YouGov, Lead Python Developer, Aug 2013 – now
Design and implement scalable analysis software for market research analysis using Python, Cython MongoDB. Development of an in-memory column-oriented DB to efficiently store and query tabular data.
RAID Research Services LLP, Senior Software Architect, May 2012 – Aug 2013
Design and implement scalable analysis software for finance using mainly Python, Pandas MySQL and ExtJS. Implementation of an in-memory DB to efficiently query tabular data. Parsing of unstructured data sources and categorization using simple machine learning techniques.
Artirix Ltd, Senior Software Engineer, Apr 2012 – May 2012
Design and implementation of highly scalable web search crawlers using Python and Twisted.
Zugo Ltd, Senior Python Developer, Apr 2011 – Apr 2012
Geneity Ltd, Software Engineer, Aug 2008 – Apr 2011
Pirelli & C SpA, Optical Designer, Jun 2005 – Aug 2008
R&D in Photonic Integrated Circuits mainly based on Silicon-on-Insulator technology (SOI-PICs). Responsible for the design of optical components for metro and access networks, with a focus on innovative solutions. Excellent problem solving capabilities, lateral thinking and self management. Deep experience on efficient numerical and parallel programming (SGI Altix hardware), using C/C++, Fortran, Matlab, Python languages and OpenMP, MPI, STL and Boost libraries. Experience in patenting.
TELE System Electronic Srl, Software Engineer, Mar 2005 – Jun 2005
Consultant on hardware and software design for digital television broadcasting, including theory on transmission algorithms and computer simulations of the complete system. Experience in programming applications for set-top-boxes, in JAVA.
Photon Design Ltd, Software Engineer, Apr 2003 – Apr 2004
R&D on numerical algorithms applied to the solution of electromagnetic problems. Very deep focus on algorithms' efficiency for computationally intensive simulations. Theoretical studies on linear algebra problems, finite difference and finite elements algorithms, modal expansion techniques. Deep experience in C/C++ programming, both with VC++ and Borland suites (along with STL and Boost libraries) and Python as scripting language. Basics of GUI programming.
Progetto Mantegna, Technical Support, May 2001 – Apr 2003
Technical assistance in the virtual reconstruction of Mantegna's paintings in the Ovetari's Chapel, Padua Italy. Basics of image analysis and manipulation.
University of Udine - Italy, PhD, Nov 2002 – Nov 2005
Thesis on the numerical solution Maxwell equations in periodic dielectric devices.
European Project, FUNFOX (Project No. 004582), Sep 2004 - Jun 2005
Research on semiconductor optoelectronic devices for metro core and access segments in optical networks.
European Project, PICCO (IST-1999-10361), Nov 2002 - Apr 2003
Research in Optical integrated circuits, photonic crystal planar waveguides and wavelength dependent devices.
University of Padova - Italy, Telecommunication Engineering, Sep 1996 - Mar 2002
- "Numerical Methods for Integrated Optics", Lorenzo Bolla, Scholar's Press, 2013, ISBN 978-3-639-51669-2
- Technical reviewer for "Numpy 1.5 Beginners Guide", PacktPub, ISBN 1849515301
- Technical reviewer for "Learning Scipy for Numerical and Scientific Computing", PacktPub, ISBN 1782161627
- Technical reviewer for "Haskell Data Analysis Cookbook", PacktPub, ISBN 1783286334
- V. Sorianello, M. Balbi, L. Colace, G. Assanto, L. Socci, L. Bolla, G. Mutinati, M. Romagnoli, "Guided-wave photodetectors in Germanium on SOI optical chips", Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, abstract
- M. Romagnoli, L. Socci, L. Bolla, et al., "Silicon Photonics in Pirelli" (invited), Proc. SPIE 2008, website
- T. P. Felici, D. F. G. Gallagher, L. Bolla, "Automatic design and optimisation of Si nanophotonics devices using finite element frequency domain solvers", Proc. SPIE Vol. 6475, 64750L, Integrated Optics: Devices, Materials, and Technologies XI, 2007, abstract
- M. Kotlyar, L. Bolla, M. Midrio, L. O'Faolain, and T. Krauss, "Ultra-short InP-based polarisation rotator", PECS-VI International Symposium on Photonics and Electromagnetic Crystal Structures, 2005, website
- M. Kotlyar, L. Bolla, M. Midrio, L. O'Faolain, and T. Krauss, "Photonic Crystals for Polarisation Diversity Circuits", Frontier in Optics (the 89th OSA Annual Meeting), Tucson (Arizona), 2005, website
- M. Kotlyar, L. Bolla, M. Midrio, L. O'Faolain, and T. Krauss, "Compact polarization converter in InP-based material", Opt. Express 13, 5040-5045, 2005, abstract
- L. Bolla, "Polarization Rotators", Technical Report, FUNFOX Project, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2005, website
- L. Bolla, M. Midrio, and C. G. Someda, "Energy flow in negative index materials", Chin. Opt. Lett. 2, 428-430, 2004, abstract
- L. Bolla, and T. Felici, "New discretisation scheme for frequency domain electromagnetics", PIERS 2004 Proceedings, Pisa, Italy, 2004, website
- L. Bolla, "Planar Generalized Yee Algorithm", Technical Report, PICCO Project, Padua, Italy, 2002, website
Author or Co-author of 10 international patents in the field of integrated optics.