Home | Articles | CV (pdf | short)

Lorenzo Bolla - Curriculum Vitæ

EMail | GitHub | StackOverflow | LinkedIn | Website

More detailed CV available here.


YouGov, Senior Sofware Developer, Aug 2013 – now

Design and implement scalable analysis software for market research analysis using Python, Rust, Cython, MongoDB, PostgreSQL. Development of an in-memory column-oriented DB to efficiently store and query tabular data. Lead junior developers, ensure best practices and code quality, automate deployments and continuous delivery.

YouGov, Director of DevOps, Aug 2015 – Jun 2020

Lead the DevOps team, to improve automation of development processes. Manage the migration from legacy to state-of-the-art infrastructure, based on GitLabCI, Docker and Kubernetes. Responsibilities include soliciting project ideas, setting priorities and scheduling projects. 25% time position dedicated to this role; remaining 75% Lead Python Developer.

RAID Research Services LLP, Senior Software Architect, May 2012 – Aug 2013

Design and implement scalable analysis software for finance using mainly Python, Pandas, MySQL and ExtJS. Implementation of an in-memory DB to efficiently query tabular data. Parsing of unstructured data sources and categorization using simple machine learning techniques.

Artirix Ltd, Senior Software Engineer, Apr 2012 – May 2012

Design and implementation of highly scalable web search crawlers using Python and Twisted.

Zugo Ltd, Senior Python Developer, Apr 2011 – Apr 2012

Develop massively scalable web applications (using Python, Tornado, MySQL, MongoDB, nginx on the back-end and HTML, Javascript, CSS on the front-end). Experience in distributed data analysis using MapReduce frameworks (mainly Disco), NoSQL data stores (mainly MongoDB) and AWS solutions.

Geneity Ltd, Software Engineer, Aug 2008 – Apr 2011

Software engineer of high-performance E-gaming web applications (mainly working with Betfair, Coral, Ladbrokes and others betting companies). Focus on high performance fund transfers.

Previous jobs


University of Udine - Italy, PhD, Nov 2002 – Nov 2005

Thesis on the numerical solution Maxwell equations in periodic dielectric devices.

University of Padova - Italy, Telecommunication Engineering, Sep 1996 - Mar 2002


Author of "Numerical Methods for Integrated Optics", ISBN 978-3-639-51669-2.
Technical reviewer of 3 more books on computer programming.
Author or Co-author of 10+ articles on peer-reviewed journals.
Author or Co-author of 10 international patents in the field of integrated optics.